DFBarracks - Forums

Delta Force Barracks Forums - Powered by XMB 1.9.11
Delta Force Barracks Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New Feature on MapDB or Stop the lamers!
A.Bullet
General

cool.gif posted on 5-14-2003 at 11:46 AM
New Feature on MapDB or Stop the lamers!

Tonight I made a quick change tot he map database - hopefully it will make a big difference in how the ratings work in the MapDB..

Recently it seems certain people have begun rating tons of maps very low.. additionally it seems some of these individuals had created multiple accounts for the sole purpose of submitting bogus ratings..

Tonight.. that ends..

Users can now view who rated any map thats been rated.. by clicking the View Ratings link which appears below the Download Now link on the map details pages..

Using this new tool its easy to determine who is submitting valid rates.. as opposed to who is submitting bogus ones..

As a direct result of this tool.. over 15 accounts have been permanently banned from DFBarracks for attempting to subvert the rating process..

If you think someone is purposely submitting bogus ratings.. please let DFB staff know so that we may check it out and ban the individual if nescessary..

As for you lamers.. the jig is up.. you will be found. .and banned.. and BTW.. you should be ashamed of yourselves. .

-- A.Bullet
-- Owner / Head Programmer
-- DFBarracks.com

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free." -- Clarence Darrow
delta freak 07
Captain

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 5-14-2003 at 11:51 AM

Very good idea... people shouldn't have to work long and hard on these maps to have them submitted and rated low for no reason...i mean if your gonna rate it bad... atleast have tested the map out and have a reason for the low rating...

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Talb09
Corporal

Mood: hidden

[*] posted on 5-14-2003 at 12:01 PM

Nice job bro
A.Bullet
General

[*] posted on 5-14-2003 at 12:12 PM

I just added a slight improvement.. now you can click the users name.. and view a list of all maps that user has rated.. to see how they have rated other maps as well.. additionally this allows you to click the map name to go directly to that map..

So if you find someone with the same taste in maps as you.. you can use thier ratings to find maps ..

-- A.Bullet
-- DFBarracks.com

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free." -- Clarence Darrow
Vªm¶ïr뺹
Unregistered

[*] posted on 5-15-2003 at 07:13 AM

thx bullet. this really helped me. now i can actually see which maps are good and what ones are not so good. and nice idea...i think you are a computer GENIUS! i bet u made ur comp. to lol.

A.Bullet
General

[*] posted on 5-15-2003 at 02:36 PM

Actually the guys at the factory made all the parts LOL.. but I did assemble it..

Thanks for the compliment..

-- A.Bullet
-- DFBarracks.com

delta freak 07
Captain

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 5-17-2003 at 10:50 AM

lmao... that is still pretty hard. (hey i can't manage lol)

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chrislew200
Field Marshall

Mood: ~RSU~ Is Home

[*] posted on 5-18-2003 at 06:55 AM

lol cant say no morethan that cause im just confused from the last post i read.

No Longer Present
Crazy
Banned

Mood: *Shy*

[*] posted on 5-18-2003 at 09:09 AM

HAHA! I WILL CATCH U! LMAO, Bullet I'm liking this new feature. hehe :D

NiteStalker22
Grunt

[*] posted on 5-20-2003 at 05:58 AM

SCHWEET :P
Cho-zen
Corporal

Mood: Assualting

[*] posted on 5-20-2003 at 07:35 AM

Yup A.bullet is good, i wish i was that good. lol. I have tried website design with Dreamweaver and it was nothing good. This site has one of the best website outlines and features i have ever seen.

Keepin it real!
Hosted by - The Slaved
SOTW Wins- 1
Commando~MC~
General

[*] posted on 5-20-2003 at 04:34 PM

just a sugestion for you to add to this new festure...
you show make it so that you can easly check what all of you maps are rated(add this in map control panel mabe)
and make it so that you can see what maps you rated, and for us DFB map raters out there on the list of people that rated the map have the DFB raters show up as grenades instead of the clays like it shows on the map rating...

anoshi
DFB Map Rater

mad.gif posted on 5-24-2003 at 02:33 AM
I've got a little feature of my own to add...

NOW HEAR THIS!

The next crap map (DF:BHD) that I have to playtest and rate will most certainly be sent to the admins here for their decision as to whether or not it should be removed from the MapDB, and the creators future maps being quarantined before release to the MapDB until the quality of their work is worth publishing in any way, shape, or form.

If your map is not playtested or is simply a technical mess there is a very high chance that I will be arguing for it and its creator's removal from the database, if not site.

Rule number 1 when making maps: Read The Friendly Manual

Rule number 2 when making maps: If you're still stuck - ASK FOR HELP.

Please help put an end to not just the map lamers, but the lame maps. It's beyond a joke.
chrislew200
Field Marshall

Mood: ~RSU~ Is Home

[*] posted on 5-24-2003 at 02:45 AM

ummm on the topic of ask:

im trying to make a man follow me when i shoot a load of bad guys but i cant get him to follow me down the stairs so i reduced his distance. but i cant reduce the start playes distance anyway i can get around this without using waypoints

christopher

No Longer Present
anoshi
DFB Map Rater

[*] posted on 5-24-2003 at 03:03 AM

probably best to discuss in a separte thread, but yeah, use tight distance waypoints for stairs etc. and then lock them back onto the player again after they've reached the waypoint. In my experiences, the AI has less than 1% chance of negotiating them if it's trying to follow you.
Jonathan
Captain

[*] posted on 5-24-2003 at 01:25 PM
user ratings

I've given up on some of the user comments for the other reason. I've d/l several maps where users gave it 4 or 5 stars. Only to fire up the mission and have no waypoints or mission objects.

It's as if the author just stumbled across things he found interesting and tossed them on a map and turned me loose.

One mission did tell me to kill all bad guys, blow up weapons cache and find intel docs. But with no waypoints, I wound up spending 20 mins wandering around his city. Am I getting warmer? Colder?

So unless I see user comments that can support these ratings...

Jonathan
Prèáç}{
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-12-2003 at 09:45 PM
well hmmm.......

I like this new function it seems to be just
excellent gonna take a bit to get used to
though, and it might actually give some of
those guys that thought I gave them a bad rating a chance to see I was fair and
followed a rating system that is fair
Hey I have made some nasty maps aswell
but I never uploaded those ones
and the simple fact is TESTING MAPS
WORKS prior to uploading I mean a full
test with a good # in the server
not much sense on building a map
if it is only good for 2 people

Thanks Bullet for the hard work you do

Chief ADFP
Private

Mood: 01/14/60 45yrs

[*] posted on 7-4-2003 at 02:54 PM
its low to do that

making a rating and then do a low blow by making some fake one so it look great thats what i call a cheap shot.

P.s be great some do it add in info what type terrain they use in a map and were they can download it from talking about custom terrain

[edit - anoshi: oversize sig removed (filesize limit is 30k in these forums). Feel free to edit this post to re-enable your sig when you've got it below 30k. thanks]
De Buurman
Corporal

[*] posted on 8-5-2003 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Prèáç}{
I like this new function it seems to be just
excellent gonna take a bit to get used to
though, and it might actually give some of
those guys that thought I gave them a bad rating a chance to see I was fair and

Hello Preach we never met but your map with the give it a shot feature on Smokin`s site inspired me to make Area51 CQB I would like to hear what you think of it :) here`s the link:

http://www.killingfields.dingojunction.com/map_database/KFN-...

hmm its for df2 demo if you dont have that old relic just run it through bms converter :)
if you have it still would be interested to hear how you would rate that maps i have put there ?

Also you might wanna check the POW I map where a new feature is enbedded inprisonment of enemy players (teleport for guest players) and assigning idividual players to individual groups.
There `s a tutorial ther too about shading terrain and teleport & assigning.

THx for sharing the orig mis.file in your knived map at smokin ( i will do the same in update for POW I map, seems bms converter doent show all the events etc...by name )

Regards De Buurman
varg
General

Mood: missing Doc

[*] posted on 8-16-2003 at 10:47 PM

If you suspect someone of rating maps randomly, where can you post it? cool to have like a snitch-box.
Anyway, check out the ratings by "jeurdi" he rates maps that are pretty good, maps that by other raters have been given 5 green dots, with 1 green dot. He never leaves a comment. and he once rated a map by me before it was downloaded..

My sigs :::::::::: MAPMAKERS HEAVEN :::::::::: My maps
perigrine falcon
Map Rater

[*] posted on 8-18-2003 at 08:25 AM
some input

a bullet you mention that with this new rating system that people with like tastes could download the same maps with 12000 members there could b alot of names out there to remember

another option could be check boxes on which map categories are perfered by a player VERYCQB, CQB, MIDCQB, MIDSIZE, LARGE, SNIPER, ILL HIT SCROLL LOCK WASH WAX MY CAR EAT SHOWER AND CHECK TO SEE IF IM IN THE FIGHT YET
hehe, DAY, NIGHT,WATER and character type used by member posting the rating

maybe have other category to maybe make ratings simpler ratings
REALIZM
IMAGINATION(of the mapmaker)
ORIGINALITY
PLAY(most important)
APPEARANCE(myself i care alot about how a map looks some people dont. example: like bottom edges of buildings hanging over a hill, wall flicker , ect.)

ive played alot of maps that didnt look as good as possible but where very fun

it might be confusing with all of this incorporated into the rating system but maybe some of it could be used in the ratings process maybe give the user the option of a simple rating or thorough rating this may also make up for the lack of comments

this site never seizes to amaze me it seems like there are alway improvments made, being made, or planned

keep up the great work

p.s. this post is a little late but maybe it will help give you ideas for future improvments
apache
Grunt

[*] posted on 8-25-2003 at 12:21 AM

Nice touch.New around here had a break from DF for awhile i make custom maps and Nova Arena (Pancho & Heavy) was where all my maps used to go but seems in my absense its gone????I like this new touch i like lot of map makers have suffered at the hands of prankster voting.
Nice work

not that i'm the greatest map maker but i try....lol
CV7>SSgtSmallBoy
Grunt

cool.gif posted on 9-24-2003 at 09:10 AM

Great idea, keep the lamers guessing, always stay one step ahead.....

"Welcome Back my Friends,
to the Show that Never ends. We're so Glad You could Attend. Come Inside, Come Inside..." EL&P
SOULSEEKER
Private

[*] posted on 10-13-2003 at 03:22 PM

I have been having trouble with a guy named"mapper" check out his comments here http://www.dfbarracks.com/mapdb/index.php?action=dm&mid=5465
steadyretina
Private

Mood: Overwhelmed

[*] posted on 10-29-2003 at 05:35 AM
i'll look into this but...

unfortunately, several people get their jollies by degrading/flaming mappers...most of them couldnt even read the help file for the MED much less make a decent map...dont let them discourage you or get to you...remember that most of them are simply jealous of your efforts because they know the cannot achieve such great things! I will look into this and report it to the proper moderator/admin ASAP.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top