Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DF2 Conversion
johnno56
Private

Mood: Logical

[*] posted on 1-12-2019 at 08:25 AM
DF2 Conversion

I am probably going to answer my own question....

There are probably applications to convert DF2 to whatever but I suspect that there is more to do than just that...

I would like to convert the DF2 campaign missions to DF3 or TFD. Would I be correct in assuming that I will need all the terrains and items etc installed into DF3 and or TFD before I convert the DF2 maps?

I have not done this sort of thing before and would appreciate a list of instructions or tutorial on how to do so.

Reason:

I am running Linux Mint and have been running DF for years (since about 2005) and have found that DF3 and TFD run much better than DF2 on Linux... DF2 may or may not 'freeze'... But when it does it is kind of annoying... Hence my inquiry...

Thank you for listening.

J

May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
johnno56
Private

[*] posted on 1-25-2019 at 04:34 AM

Interesting. Two weeks; 21 views and no replies.

I have found a solution to my problem.

I will no longer attempt to play DF2 on my Linux machine. Instead, I will now play DF2, on my wife's Win7 laptop.

I do not know how to close this thread and mark it 'solved'.

Admin, if you would be so kind, please do so?

Live long and prosper.
Baldo_the_Don
Spam Sweeper

Mood: NSODLbeta is GO

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 06:05 AM

I really wish I could help you, but except for the one demo where Gas Can attacked the Great Pyramid, I have no experience with NeverLogic games between DF1 and C4.

Linux is also a mystery to me.

As for your solution, it's actually more of a workaround, so even if closing a thread was a thing we do around here, I'd leave this open. Someday, a clever player might be able to help you.

Best I can come up with is try searching around NovaHQ.net. There may even be stuff to find at the DFBarracks' sister site DFReload.com.

I wish you luck, mate.

johnno56
Private

[*] posted on 1-27-2019 at 05:12 PM

DF (any version) is not supposed to run on Linux... It's a bonus that DFLW and DFTFD run quite well using a Linux program called Wine. Difficult for me to explain as I'm not totally sure how Wine works... I'll let Wiki do it... lol

"Wine is a free and open-source compatibility layer that aims to allow computer programs developed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. Wine also provides a software library, known as Winelib, against which developers can compile Windows applications to help port them to Unix-like systems." Not sure if this helps.

I'm not complaining about DF2 not running properly, I'm just curious as to how to convert DF2 maps to run on DFLW or DFTFD. A list of instructions or a tutorial etc is all I need...

Cheers

J

Live long and prosper.

Go To Top