Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Waypoint distance
TrSniper
Captain

[*] posted on 7-15-2018 at 07:50 AM
Waypoint distance

Hi all,

Short question. I have made some waypoint for my enemie AI and I have set the distance of them on '0' so that they can navigate easily through tight corners, the problem is, everytime I open the mission in med, the distances are set on 10 again :S. Need help on this...
Baldo_the_Don
Spam Sweeper

Mood: NSODLbeta is GO

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 12:55 AM

Waypoint radius can't be less than 1m, so they were defaulting back to 10m. You can still manage very tight areas with careful placement.

I edited one of Spinney's NSO maps, NSO Swiftsting, and added a trick where 6 deltas on a Little Bird land on the roof of the NSO Hex building, dismount, then run down 5 flights of stairs to the rendezvous outside the building where the No-Dong missile launch is being controlled. Useless to the gameplay, but a neat trick all the same.

Just saying that you may not think a waypoint with a 1m radius is tight enough, but I assure you, it is.

Bustin
Private

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 02:54 AM

You can get the waypoint distance to stay at zero but have to make it the last thing done to the map.

Name your waypoint path(s) so you can find it/them. Once the map has been finalized export the .bms.

Open the .bms with Notepad and locate the waypoints you have for AI. Change the distance to zero and save the .bms with Notepad.

You must have the folder the map files are in set to show file extensions to make this save properly.

Now when the map runs it will load the waypoints with a zero distance.

Baldo_the_Don
Spam Sweeper

Mood: NSODLbeta is GO

[*] posted on 8-4-2018 at 01:48 PM

I've never attempted to edit a .bms in notepad. I edit .mis files in notepad all the time, sure, but...

I didn't think .bms files actually save waypoint list names, so I don't see how naming the list could help you find it in the .bms.

Wait a minute...

Okay, I did some quick testing. The MEd will save waypoints with 0m radii in the .mis and export them to the .bms, but opening a .mis file with 0m waypoints will default them to 10m.

I attempted a text search to find a waypoint list in a .bms opened in notepad. Can confirm that a .bms DOES NOT contain the text names you give waypoint lists in the .mis. There are tons of data in a .mis file that are not exported to the .bms, that's why .bms files are so much smaller than .mis files, and why BMS2MISsing a map is so frustrating.

I can also confirm that attempting to open the Single Player screen in DFBHD with a .bms in the game folder that I edited in notepad causes a sysdump. I had exported the .bms with the G3 as primary, dragged and dropped the .bms into notepad, edited the strings WPN_G3AUTO and WPN_G3 to WPN_G36AUTO and WPN_G36, Ctrl+S saved it, and tried to load it. Editing the .bms back to the original in notepad did not fix this. I conclude that notepad is not a viable program for editing .bms files. I think you need a hex editor for that kind of work.

Go To Top