Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Single Player Maps
mtmassociate
Grunt

Mood: Confused

shocked.gif posted on 12-29-2007 at 06:10 AM
Single Player Maps

Some folks are not living in reality. When you make a map, understand this. Dead is Dead. Dead bad guys do not become undead. A good map maker knows this! DEAD IS DEAD. Knock of the respawns of dead AI in single player missions.
Assassin Xaero
DFB Map Rater

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 06:22 AM

I'm sick and tired of people saying this, mostly in cooperative though. Yeah, sure, when 'bad guys' die in real life, they don't come back alive, but neither do the 'good guys'. So, when you get shot, why should you be able to come back to life? That isn't very fair. For all we know, the AI have an invisible medic running around healing them. Another thing, since when is it realistic to 'save your progress'. I wish I could do that in real life so I could have avoided half the crap I've had to deal with... How about this, go play Resident Evil, and when the zombies come back to life, sit there and tell them they can't do that and see what happens. Or Pokemon... nothing in that game dies, they just 'faint'. Anyway... the real reason is because we don't want levels to be super easy/Nova set a limit on AIs and we wanted more...

‡ BHD ‡ BHD:TS ‡ JO:TR ‡

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
SuoiveD
Super Moderator

Mood: Chillin

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 02:53 PM

If you want REALITY,
then switch off your computer & go outside.
If you don't want reality then stay inside & play games on your computer.

Eagle_Eye
Senior Admin

Mood: Grey,not Stupid

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 05:57 PM

A good map maker will use the AI respawn as it was intended, and that is to lower the use of your PC's resources, so you have better game play.

A good map maker will not create obvious respawns, unless they create an intentional "Let's see how many guys we can kill" map.

The only game that offers no player respawn as standard, is DFX, and that's only in SP mode.

There's not much of a demand for those maps where you can't save, and if you die, you start over, cos, it's only a game.

Most gamers will get bored if a mission is over in 10 minutes, rather than an hour, to do this, you will probably need more BG's than the game can supply without the use of respawners.

Mappers can create great maps with respawners, use just have to use them correctly, I see too many maps with under 10 events. You can use events/wac files to stop respawners..and create some great effects..way too many Cowboys who think they can map !!

EE

ozferal
Captain

Mood: Bear Hunting

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 10:14 PM

Quote:
A good map maker will not create obvious respawns, unless they create an intentional "Let's see how many guys we can kill" map.

Sorry, that's not a good map maker .. played too many of that type map .. respawners on a continuous loop with the eyes of 100 starving eagles.

mtmassociate was talking about Single Player maps anyway, and honestly, do battle with 90 or so well placed AI ...

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Eagle_Eye
Senior Admin

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 10:32 PM

That's what I said!!

Unless it's intentional !! What we call a mass respawner..or sometimes refered to as a Stat Padder..

I basicly said a good map maker will not create obvious respawns..

I didn't say a good map maker creates Mass Respawners..

EE

ozferal
Captain

Mood: Bear Hunting

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 10:41 PM

Err it's the "unless" part EE

Maybe Adelaide and the YP have different languages

Eagle_Eye
Senior Admin

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 10:53 PM

It's just the way you country folk write.."you said Sorry, that's not a good map maker"

That means to me that you think I said it was good mapping..you also quoted me..so it looked like you where saying that I said it was good mapping to create a mass respawner..

You should have said something like..

Quote:
"unless they create an intentional Let's see how many guys we can kill map"

I agree, played too many of that type map .. respawners on a continuous loop with the eyes of 100 starving eagles.

That I would understand..maybe I'm just too grey !!!

Xx_jet_xX
Jet Lag

Mood: Whats next?

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ozferal
Quote:
with the eyes of 100 starving eagles.

we are in the general section not TFD lol

Eagle_Eye
Senior Admin

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 11:09 PM

LOL

Jonathan
Captain

[*] posted on 12-31-2007 at 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtmassociate
Some folks are not living in reality. When you make a map, understand this. Dead is Dead. Dead bad guys do not become undead. A good map maker knows this! DEAD IS DEAD. Knock of the respawns of dead AI in single player missions.

If used correctly, the player wouldn't even know that he/she just killed a respawner. If used incorrectly, then it can certainly put a damper on the mission realism. And since JO editors (MED and NILE) are very easy to use, just about anyone can make a mission. However making a good mission is another story.

I've played a mission where only 50 bad guys were used. The mapper teleports the bad guys from one PSP to the next as the blue team advances. The designer teleports the bad guys out of site and redirects them to new waypoints so the players never noticed. I didn't. There are 8 PSPs with 50 bad guys at each of them. And its an amazing mission. With a limit of 256 AI on the map at one time, this mission wouldn't have been possible without repsawning.

I would recommend that mappers need to start using respawners in a more realistic manner (hide them from the player's view). Unless the purpose of their mission is to play JO in a Doom setting. IMHO if I wanted to play Doom, I'd install the CD. :D

http://www.dfbarracks.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=38181
Lt.Hamster NS
Corporal

Mood: Nostalgic

[*] posted on 12-31-2007 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
How about this, go play Resident Evil, and when the zombies come back to life, sit there and tell them they can't do that and see what happens.

lol i laugh so hard at that.... I can imagine someone doing that too lol

Go To Top