Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Godfather's Nile Mapmakers Forums has moved
DSF-Shadow-Ace
Grunt

wink.gif posted on 7-2-2007 at 08:34 AM
Godfather's Nile Mapmakers Forums has moved

Well as you can see, the forums seem to be back up to speed once again. We however have no faith in the host and expect that a week or month from now, we will be right back where we were with a slow and unusable site.

As such myself and other Staff here have been busy over the last few weeks looking for a fix for the problem. First we tried to have the site moved to another server "The host refused" then we tried to get a copy of our database so we could import it into another system, once again "the host refused".

So they did not leave us with many choices, we either stay here and suffer again when things go bad "as I'm sure they will" or take our business elsewhere. So we made the choice of going elsewhere!

At this time we are busy seeding a new forum with the important information located here, a very time consuming project to say the least! but we are about ready to unveil our new home to you all. This time I control the hosting, software and database, so in the event of a problem we will not find ourselves in the same position once again.

Now I have to tell you all, there are over 8,000 posts here and most are either duplicate questions or answers, or general chit chat. And as such we have made the choice NOT to move them all to the new system "Without access to the database we would have to manually cut and paste each one, just to labor intensive." Instead we have opted to take the important facts to start with and move what else we feel needs moving over time. So the new home is going to look quite a bit smaller to you all, but I'm sure it will fill up quickly once again.

Unfortunately another issue without our database is "user accounts" We have the same options, cut and paste every account and make you reset your password, or simply allow you to reopen your account on the new site. We have chose to allow you to reopen your account so we can eliminate the old unused account on here at the same time. Sorry!

With all that said, here's the scoop.
On Friday the 6th of July we will disable the ability to post or open new accounts on this site. All new posts and accounts will then need to start using our new home.

Where is that you may ask.

Well update your shortcut/link to us, here is our new URL

Godfathers Nile Mapmakers Forums

Go To Top