Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ? about terrain sounds and fx the *_ m.pcx file
Fence Post
Grunt

[*] posted on 8-22-2006 at 07:02 AM
? about terrain sounds and fx the *_ m.pcx file

Hi all,

First off thanks to all, who provided answers and information, on these forums.

I have found the information to get me through the terrain process. Thanks to you all!

With one exception? I can't get my brain, rapped around, the terrain sound and fx file. That annoying "*_m.pcx file".

I viewed everyone by extracting from the resource pff 'JOTR'. Ffound nothing but the same plain brown indexed image.

I used it on the terrain I am practicing with. But all I get is dirt for fx and sound.
The 'Tergen PDF man.' leaves me short of understanding how this file works.

I tried searching the forum using, 'terrain sound and effects', *_m.pcx file, character map, so on, and found nothing.

I would like to add other fx and sounds to terrains like, 'sand, mud, etc...'.

Has someone got this one nailed down?

If so could you point me to some info on how the file works with JO/JOE.
LoA
Corporal

Mood: go to hell

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 02:31 AM

basicaly it works off index colors and basicaly nova is kinda lazy and ran mostly dirt on the jo stuff, i suggest that you check out a earlyer version of df games. any version will work when it comes down to _m.pcx and _f.pcx. open a dflw,df2,df1 there all the same and much easyer to understand plus you can pull the index colors from them to use on your own

Fence Post
Grunt

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 06:04 AM
Thanks

I have BHD as far back as I go.

I found more colors in the IC and others. Swithed photoshop color picker to windows color picker.

I made a new _m file 'Indexed'. Painted it with equal squares, of each of the index colors I found. Went thru the Tergen ritual, the cpt ritual, the pack ritual, sacraficed a chicken, poured the chicken blood on a printed terrain pic., Burned the picture on the sacred rock at dawn.

Thru together a quick map. Used objects to orient myself. Ran it lan in ic. The entire map was the same sound and fx. No difference between the squares.

The unusual thing I found in testing. Was when I threw any grenade. I got its explosion sound effect each time it bounced on the ground. that could make for a heck of a noisey mission.

So the gods didn't like my sacrafice, or? I still have something wrong.

In this day and age the gods don't get too many sacrafices and dawn burnings.

So I think I am still missing something.

Thanks for the reply

I should probably try to find more info on this indexed color thing from the photoshop stand polnt. I think maybe I am not getting the colors correct. From sampler to pallette or something. There are allot of indexed colors in adobe. I figured these must be Windows?
Fence Post
Grunt

[*] posted on 8-23-2006 at 01:46 PM
Got something here!

I did a new _m file all green and it was Plant life debris, everywhere I sprayed bullets. No more explosion sound when grenades bounced on ground.

Went through the ritual again this time with a pink, I found in other maps. I got plant life again everywhere.

Except the highest points on the map. There I got sparks and what might be cement or hard pack dirt particles. This was using just the pink color I had found.

So now I will try an orange and the other colors I found.

But getting 2 effects out of 1 color. Was something I didn't excpect. The cut off between the 2 effects was alttitude.

Only the highest points gave me sparks like concrete or hard dirt, rock. It was not the same as metal, so I think it has to be one or the other so far. Everything else was still plant life.
LoA
Corporal

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 01:27 AM

thats intresting try white lol i think you get snow, bytw heres another mod forum this is the site i manage. and the terrains section on that forum is a little more active then in here at the moment. theres a few other terrain makers that would be able to help you there as well.

MOD DEPOT

Fence Post
Grunt

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 02:45 AM
Thanks for the redirect

Thanks for the help!

I will try Mod Depot as well. I think I registered on Mod Depot last night. Was waiting for email confirmation.

I guess JO/JOE is getting on, in its gaming years. So probably not too many modders or mappers still at it. I took a one year break from JO myself.

Thanks Again
LoA
Corporal

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 03:38 AM

you might be surprised the depot still seems very active and is pretty much all moding posts, i try to keep all the non moding crap out of there. if you have a problem geting email confirm let me know i will look in to it

Fence Post
Grunt

[*] posted on 8-24-2006 at 05:35 AM
Good deal

I am reading through the posts at Mod depot now. I like it!

I like digging through new forums. I get side tracked sometimes with other subjects. Also sometimes get so side tracked! I forget why I went to the forum to begin with.

Thanks

Go To Top