Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: on removing runway from dfg1
opmankim
Corporal

wink.gif posted on 4-8-2004 at 12:47 PM
on removing runway from dfg1

i would like some info please about the df2 files with the extentions ; _m.pcx , dm.pcx , _cm.cal. ive played around with them on the DFG1 map. I was trying to remove the landing strip. The results were confusing . I was able to manipulate the grass patterns but couldnt determine why they are placed where they are. The ct1 line in the cal file is a mystery. erasing the landing strip pattern from the _m.pcx totally threw the other patterns into total disarray . also i cant determine the affects of changing the colors in the _m.pcx file . i am hoping to place the high grass and low grass fields where id like for them to be and to remove features such as the landing strip . hope this isnt asking to much . thanx seriously opmankim:)
DR_EVIL_TAG
Colonel

Mood: www.txpgone3d.c

[*] posted on 4-9-2004 at 06:56 AM

The tiles for the terrian textures are in the cm and dm files.The _m file is the detailed color map which tells you where each texture is going to show up,example tile 1 in the cm file is the 1st color in the color chart of the color map {_m} and so on,there 256 colors in total,If your wanting to get rid of the landing strip just use the _m file and change the color representing the strip to a color represent the grass and or ground.To replace the high grass with low grass you need to find out what color represnts the low grass and then just color the tiles that represent the high grass.

So lets say green represents the airstrip tiles and yellow represents grass/gravel ,just take and replace all the green tile with yellow and sam ewith the grass.

theres a terrian editor manual over at www.txp.df2.org which should give you more insight on it.

Theres no need to change the cm and or dm files at all if your just looking to take out the airstrip and grass.

The colors that make up the run way are
192,235,192------
226,255,226------
192,192,235------
226,226,255------
I can only give you the number that make up each of the colors as i'm color blind but those are the ones you want to replace.

If you replace those colors with 255,255,255 then it will give you the look of the tiles near the run way such as the grass

The colors for the long grass and short grass you will have to find out on your own mate,

I can give the terrian with out the runway but you'll have to do the grass.I can give ya a hand if you need it and if you want the terrian let me know mate and i'll send it to ya ,even if you just want to compare the m file i have to yours
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 4-9-2004 at 03:58 PM
YIKES ! STILL

thanks very much DR_EVIL_TAG but im still having trouble with the map just going wild when i try to replace those tiles that represent the runway in the _m.pcx. i only replaced the 4 colors you suggested , that left me with runway tiles streching across the entire map , in strips. previously i had replaced all 8 of the colors and that removed all of the runway tiles but, still left ununiform looking strips of the other tiles .im just bufoozled but ,im checking in on that tutorial pronto eh and thanx again . im feeling sure ill be back here for more on this subject >>>>>>>>>>does anybody know what the _cm.tga format is and/or how to look at or edit it and hey i solemnly promise this is all a just for fun , educational , non - profit venture ;) opmankim
DR_EVIL_TAG
Colonel

[*] posted on 4-9-2004 at 11:05 PM

The _cm.tga is the colored tiles of stone,grass,track,runway and such to actually see it you need to open it up in a paint progrqam and zoom in alot and you will see it each tile in the strip is 64 by 64 the strip it self is 64x16384 ,the _dm is the grey scale version of the _cm file which gives the tile the height.Be very carefule when altering thse 2 because any changes in them that are done wrong will cause the map not to work,The files need to be kept the same size.

Once you remove the runway replace the white sections with other colors and or just cut and paste another section of the map there this will eliminate teh strips.Pm andor email me if you want my copy to compare it to .
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 4-10-2004 at 01:32 PM
probs

yes removing the landing strip is easy enough but the problem now is the tiles being out of place as though the program is expecting them and gets out of sequence when they arent present . i went to the txp df2 org but my norton stuff said it wasnt safe and closed it . i hope this doesnt offfend anyone . id really like the tutorial . ive tried several things-editing the cal file and the _dm.pcx
and i can get cool stuff like making the grass patterns into letters or signs using the grey-scale height technique but ,this sequence problem continues to baffle but, anyway let me thank you again for what ive been able to learn so far opmankim :cool:
DR_EVIL_TAG
Colonel

[*] posted on 4-10-2004 at 11:34 PM

If your taking the airstip out using only the _m file then the tiles in the cm and dm should not change the order and or effect the rest of the terrian.If you take the tiles oout of the cm and dm file then yes it will screw up the order and the colors in the m file where the run way was would then represent a new tile.But just changing the colors in the m file doesn't effect anything but gives you short grass where the run way was.The m file is a indexed 256/8 bit -color pcx format ,if you open the color chart for that file each color represents a tile,Being the 1st color matching to the first tile in the cm file and 2 color matching the 2nd tile and so on ,but theres really no need to alter the cm and or dm file at all

When changing the colors in the m file you can't just pick white because being an indexed color will give you all one type of tile,lets say indexed 25 block is color white it will give you one type of gravel let say where as indexed 26 block is also white it will give you grass and so,.From index color block 13 to block 237 is all white blocks but they mean differnt tiles..From 238 to 255 represents the last few tiles in the cm strip this being where the airstrip tiles are,I can put the actual indexed numbers with the airstip if you want.Finding out what colors mean what will give you a better result in the long run because you can the find the tiles that blend into each other.But like i said theres no need to touch the cm and or dm file.

The tutotial was put up on the site using nortons scan and was checked and cleaned,Download it again last night no problems but to ones own i guess and with all file that you down load you have to be cautous .
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 11:42 AM
just read

thx DR_EVIL_TAG
i just read your latest reply usually i would try the advise first then post the results but ill have to study over that last one some (no Inestine here :) ) . i edited the _m.pcx in the paint shop by simply picking the yellow (i forget the rgb numbers) and painted all over the runway. in the game this area looks beautiful but when i move my character about 100 -200 meters north , i run into the strange placement of the tiles ( the un uniform strips and low grass where the area had tall grass). i have played with the _dm.pcx and the _cm.cal .im going to make sure now that they are as the original so ill be sure that thats not the or ,part of the , prob. about the txp site my computer simply hung up on it without my consent after reporting to me that the site was unsafe. im not making any accusation whatsoever its simply what happened. so i dont know ,ya know. this is a second hand computer and i really dont even know the settings but i have no problems here so ill check it out later maybe . again thank you thank you and its back to the bat computer
DR_EVIL_TAG
Colonel

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 01:45 PM

Rgr mate takes time and alot of patience in making a terrian,What i do sometimes when trying to figure out what color represents what tile is ill take each color in the m file and fun a strip like ------ this with each color and then put the spawn point near them and when in the game i cane see what each stip is whether its tall grass,short grass,gravel and so it helps when your looking for the right tile where the grass should blend into the gravel section with out leaving a striaght edge.Good luck
opmankim
Corporal

biggrin.gif posted on 4-12-2004 at 01:02 PM
RAWRRR!!

thank you again DR_EVIL_TAG
im using a free multi format viewer / converter with advanced operations like convert to true colours,convert to grey scale , resize, contrast and many others. the program is called xn viewer i am also using the stock old paint shop that came on the computer . when i try to open the _cm.tga it says "cannot determine format"
so i cant open it . what im thinking of is just editing or replacing the run way tiles in these files. not giving up !:D
opmankim
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 09:36 AM
still not right

heres what ive done basically- in the _m.pcx ive painted over the runway with the yellow (255,255,0) . all other files are the stock ones except for the .trn of course. i still get the problems mentioned above . in the _cm.cal there is a list of some tile description i think . of these there are 14 nulls and 12 ct1's . of the ct1's there are 3-40's , 4-10's, 5-40's leaving me wondering these things - the dm.pcx is 64 x 16384 , 16384 divided by 64 is 256 - 14 x 64 = 896 - 12 x 64 =768 , in the cal 13 of the nulls are at the end of the list this coresponds to the dm.pcx which shows 13 tiles at the end of the strip that are plain colors(white , black , then grey) it looks like the cal is a list of the tiles in the dm.pcx . sooo to make a short story long : 256 - 14 = 242 ; there are 21 different colors in the _m.pcx which suggests to me that there are 21 different tiles can somebody fill in duh blanks like how many of the tiles in the dm strip are used to make one section of the terrain or why the strips get out of order just because the runway colors arent present or like maybe what the ct1's are before i *.** can this babe! :D just kidding -hangin in there
humbly yours opmankim
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 12:50 PM
color chart

stumped. well will you tell me what the color chart is. even though i cant see how knowing that will fix the sequence problem but its something to learn thanks. opmankim
terrain maker in the making!:D
btw i can make an elevation_d.pcx and _c.jpg ((the only ones ive done are very simple like a couple of small hills)and i havent really made a _c.jpg but edited a stock) but i have to use the stock files for the rest. sittin right here
4-22-04-10:09pm:just takin a break:D
4-28-04-1:58 pm:just takin a break:D
5-16-04-11:43 am:havent messed with it lately :cool:
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 9-14-2004 at 03:26 AM

yo deeyudes,
lost my internet.
but ive noticed that some files behave differently when editing them. the dfg5 , i believe , doesnt convert properly , im using free stuff (xnview) but xnview program converts dfg1 and dfg4 perfectly . Any input ? thx ill be back (sometime)
ps i use xnview to convert to bmp so i can edit with paint . them convert back to pcx
thx opmankim
at the library
:D:D:D:D
Q-dad~TAG
Colonel

Mood: Missing Doc

[*] posted on 9-16-2004 at 02:41 AM

This won't solve your problem, I guess, but in one of the earliest posts above, you asked about the CAL files and 'ct'... Here's a list of all the ground materials used inside CAL files...:

null=?
Sd=Sand
Dt/Drt=Dirt
Gs/Grs=Grass
Rk/Roc=Rock
Sw/Snw=Snow
Md/Mud=Mudd
Ie/Ice=Ice
rd=(rail)Road
Ct/Cmt=Cement

TXP (Terrain Xpansion Pack) for DF2: txp.df2.org

opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 05:22 AM

thank you again Q-dad~TAG
to demonstrate my confusing Ill tell you that i thought that the ct possibly meant cut as if it were cutting a certain number of tiles from the layout in order to some how compensate for the runway tiles or create some sort of sequence { IMAGINE! }. i cant , however , solve this problem with the runway . the tiles get WAY out of order about 100 meters north of the runway .
TY TY
opmankim
Q-dad~TAG
Colonel

Mood: Missing Doc

[*] posted on 9-22-2004 at 06:38 AM

After working a lot with figuring out the 3di file formats lately, I now believe that the Ct/Cmt might mean something like Concrete/Metal instead... not too much of a difference, perhaps, but still...

TXP (Terrain Xpansion Pack) for DF2: txp.df2.org

opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 05:00 AM

thx again Q-dad~tag
Ive tried several times at removing the runway in dfg1 . I am expecting to be able to do it with a minimum of tools - paint , xnview(converter) - however if other files need editing , im not sure that these two programs will be sufficient . xnview has given me trouble on occasion as with converting the dfg1 to a BMP then back to a PCX it converts to BMP but not back to a PCX . anyhoo i guess itll take some more experimenting . and thx much for all your help . this is all for fun but i see the possibility of creating edited terrains very quickly so long as im not having to edit the tiles or how they are layed out ie : simply editing the height map to include trenches , pits , craters , streams , level areas ect . Once I began having trouble removing the runway ( I really want it removed :) ) I bogged in and dwelled upon that anomoly :D . You guys really stick your necks out to help beyond what is expected or asked for . I appreciate that as it helps to steer people toward more understanding in their area of interest .
thank you very much
opmankim:D
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 10-18-2005 at 08:03 AM
removing that darn runway

Hey guys just touching base with yall again. Im still not on line and am right now at my adoraable sisters computer but hey im coming back some day but my studies aer continuing since becoming interested in the techniques and technologies behind the creation of and use of such as terrain files well like i said im just touching base but i have reworked all of my coop maps i made earlier and im looking forward to uploading them so you can rip me :) and ive learned to use my free world builder to create 512 x 512 images which i match up to make a 1024x1024 that meet on the edges i can pop those off by the hunderds World builder is quite the usefull program for this and i can convert the file formats with mgi photo suite that i got from aol years ago as part of a deal on a package promoting digital photo fun if you will:D. oh well thats about it . o yea by the way i now have the venerable torque engine that came on a cd in a book about game design . swo heres a great salute to you dudes appreciating you more everyday. Take care till i return full time thanks dudes and dudettes
opmankim:D:D:D:D:D
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 08:40 AM
oops i mean world machine

sorry m8s i said world builder, i maent to say WORLD MACHINE. even though there is a world builder , i havent found it useful for these terrains. but you should check out world machine if you havent yet
thx
opmankim
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 10-19-2005 at 08:43 AM
oops i mean world machine

sorry m8s i said world builder, i maent to say WORLD MACHINE. even though there is a world builder , i havent found it useful for these terrains. but you should check out world machine if you havent yet
thx
opmankim
DR_EVIL_TAG
Colonel

[*] posted on 10-29-2005 at 05:28 PM

Hey mate been awhile, i take the book your talking about is 3D Game Programming All in one ? If so have a look on page vi towards the bottom you may see a few names you seen here on this forum. The Torque game engine in the book is an old version and only comes with the .cs files for modding, The full version comes with the full source code.

Anyhow would like to check out a few terrains once you get your pc sorted out and now i guess i'm off to google for this world machine .
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 12-10-2005 at 09:35 AM
dfg1 runway

10-4 DR Evil
that is the book
I was quite surprised too see so many names that i recognized :). You all must be quite a knowledgeable lot . I appreciate your help here for those interested like myself :). Dr. Evil I havent installed the cd to my computer because it doesnt meet the minimum requirements,.
Its a PII 400 w 96 mb ram 8 mb ati rage card so im afraid of wasting the demo versions of some of the software , so im resolved to wait until i have a more modern computer .
About the runway , I still contemplate my efforts to remove the runway . Lately ive considered removing the unused textures from the other files ( the .c tga ,if im not mistaken ) in order to resolve the alignment of the tiles but i havent yet . Also Im not online myself , so when I am Ill return here for your expert
attempt to enlighten me :) . thx again
humbly
opmankim
:D
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 12-17-2005 at 10:18 AM
AHAA i think i have it

OK Ive been using freeware stuff , xnview viewer and mgi photosuite II . I had failed to notice that the indexes were changing when I converted files . after going back to xnviewer which did not change the indexes but was not converting the picture correctly I noticed a RLE compression box that wasnt checked .
After checking RLE compression ,It converted properly , this left me with a good file that aligned right . anyhow I used this in making a custom terrain that made nice edges by using most of a stock _M.PCX and editing the areas that I wanted to change ie a flattened area which I was able to match to a _C.JPG
to create a few roads and a little shading
and it worked perfectly sooo Ill let you know how it works out with the dreaded runway in DFG1 and thoses dern indexes
lol thanks .
opmankim::)
opmankim
Corporal

[*] posted on 11-23-2006 at 09:53 AM
honorable ones :)

hello honorable teachers
i just dropped in to see who is in the neighborhood these days and toot my horn a little but first , is it a little quiet in here , I say we have a df1 party LOL !
but seriously the dfg1 turned out right with the correctly converted index colors
jeez I dont even know what Im saying but it did work . I was very happy to see it . Its just what I wanted for my little base :) . secondly I'm managing to play with the torque engine some but learning is slow because my computer is too weak to run TGE but I can use the milk shape and uvwrapper , BIG FUN !! paint shop pro 8 demo and play with the scripting but things are on hold right now (of course) . I'm also just checking into unreal 3 Ill be trying to learn at their site on their forums . Ill just bet you guys can help :)
?is it ok to say unreal3 here???
humbly yours opmankim :)

Go To Top